Icon over gates of Kremlin Nikolskaya Tower to be opened and consecrated on Day of People's Unity

Moscow, October 26, 2010

On November 4, the Day of People's Unity, a restored icon of St. Nicholas of Mozhaysk on the Nikolskaya Tower of Moscow Kremlin will be consecrated.

The Foundation of St. Andrew the First-Called initiated the restoration of the icons over the gates on Kremlin towers, reports an Interfax-Religion correspondent. Patriarch Kirill blessed the initiative.

The mural on the Nikolskaya Tower dates back to the late 15th - early 16th centuries. During the civil fights in October 1917, the icon of St. Nikolas of Mozhaysk was riddled with shots, but his face escaped unharmed, an occurrence which the Moscow believers considered a miracle.

Restoration of the icon on the Nikolskaya Tower started on July 5 and lasted for about three months.

Am earlier restored icon on the Spasskaya Tower was solemnly consecrated by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in presence of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on the feast of the Dormition, August 28.

Certain elements reminiscent of icon cases can be seen on the Kutafya, Troitskaya, Konstantino-Eleninskaya and Borovitskaya Towers.

Most often names of Kremlin towers are connected with icons set on them. Thus, the Spasskaya Tower was named after the icon of the Savior located on it.

Icons on Kremlin towers were deemed lost for a long time, but there were no documents to confirm this.


29 октября 2010 г.

Здесь Вы можете оставить свой комментарий к данной статье. Все комментарии будут прочитаны редакцией портала Православие.Ru.
Ваше имя:
Ваш email:
Введите число, напечатанное на картинке
Войдите через FaceBook ВКонтакте Яндекс Mail.Ru Google или введите свои данные:
Храм Новомученников Церкви Русской. Внести лепту